Dreams aren’t just for the Jeff Bezos or Steve Jobs. If you’re an entrepreneur or leader of any kind, I’ll bet there is a dream you think about from time-to-time.
Have you ever looked at a dream and thought to yourself that it was too far out of reach? You probably thought it was too hard to get there. Maybe you felt like you didn’t have the resources, either physical or mental to be up to the challenge. Or it could be the task was just too big and too daunting even to consider.
What if those impossible dreams were not so impossible after all?
There is nothing so challenging or so satisfying as pushing past your limitations to achieve your goals. Believe it or not, it’s not as hard as you think.
1. Change your way of thinking. You’re never going to succeed if you’ve already decided that you’re going to fail. Tell yourself that you can accomplish this dream. Find proof of that. Are there others who have achieved this goal? Make those people your role models.
2. Find a mentor. Trying to go it alone always makes things harder. By finding someone who can act as an encourager, you’ll double your chances of success. But a mentor is more than just a cheerleader. They’re there to give advice, and at times, kick your butt when you want to quit.
3. Use creative visualization. See the success in your mind. Quite often, just taking the time to hold that thought will help you to see that your goal is not only possible but also how to get there. Visualization is a lot more powerful than you think.
4. Create a game plan. It’s impossible to get anywhere without a solid plan in mind. Look critically at your goal. What are the steps that you need to take to get there? How can you break those steps down into even smaller daily tasks? Schedule milestones and then set yourself in motion. Keep in mind that you might not have everything you need to achieve your goal yet. If you lack in any way, what do you need to add to that game plan? Make room for continuing education if you need to, and then add that onto your schedule as well.
5. Take a leap of faith. Push yourself to do the things that are bigger than you think you’re capable of achieving. You’re guaranteed to fail if you never try. When you have the rest of your tools in place, then it’s time to throw yourself out there and see what happens.
You’ll never know what you’re capable of if you stay in the same old rut doing the same old things. You’re meant to realize dreams. Pushing yourself to the limits to see your capabilities is one of the most rewarding things you’ll ever do. Sure it’s hard work, but by getting out there and trying, you might surprise yourself.