Do you ever feel side tracked? Do you feel distracted?
Distractions may be hard to ignore, especially when it’s a chatty coworker, a ringing phone, a demanding spouse, or many other things.
Thankfully, there are some tried and true strategies we can use to put the distractions on hold and place an intense focus on our task.
Try these techniques to develop an intense focus:
- Remove distractions. You can’t focus if you’re constantly checking your email, Facebook, or other time-stealers! You’ll get more done if you allow your mind to get in the groove with some peace and quiet.
- Remain Committed. You know that you something you should finish, but are you one hundred percent committed to seeing it through to completion? This is were you need to be honest with yourself.
- Set a time limit. Even if the task itself doesn’t have a time limit, assign one anyway. If you have a deadline, you’ll be more apt to complete your task in a timely manner.
- Take frequent breaks. This may sound contradictory, but it actually makes a world of difference for the workaholic. If we work too long at one time, not only do we become physically tired but our minds tire as well. This makes us more susceptible to distractions and shatters our concentration.
- Use a list. Lists are wonderful tools that help you accomplish your work quicker and easier. Before beginning, write down everything you need to accomplish and then cross out each task as you complete it.
- Reward yourself for a job well done. When you’re able to stay focused on an important task, reward yourself! Just keep thinking about the big picture and your reward once you’re finished with the task at hand.
You only have so much time and energy to spend each day. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to exhaust your resources on anything that you can’t influence.
Remember, you’re human, too. Losing your focus is easy in an existence that’s filled with daily distractions and annoyances.
However, you’ll find that you can keep an intense focus on something if you practice these techniques. Make them a habit and enjoy your rewards!